Your cycling fallacy is…
“It’s unsafe to cycle and we shouldn’t promote it”
Cycling is not an intrinsically dangerous mode of transport.
Danger comes mostly in the form of motor vehicles, particularly those travelling at higher speeds, and those of larger mass. That is why it is essential that good road design should separate cycling from faster motor traffic, and also from heavier vehicles like buses and HGVs. Where encounters do have to occur, they should be as limited as possible, and at slow speeds.
Even in countries with poor cycling conditions, the benefits of cycling outweigh the risks, but well-designed streets and roads also make cycling feel like a safe activity, as many studies have found that sharing space with motor vehicles on busy roads is an intimidating and scary experience for most people.
More journeys made by cycling would benefit everyone in society, through reduced pollution and an improvement in public health.
Vauxhall Bridge, London
A new cycleway in London, opened in 2015
Photo by As Easy as Riding a Bike (Copyright, used with permission)
- Do the Health Benefits of Cycling Outweigh the Risks? — PubMed Central
- Cycling Safe and Sound — Delft University of Technology
- Association between active commuting and incident cardiovascular disease, cancer, and mortality: prospective cohort study — BMJ
- Healthy Streets for London — Greater London Authority
- British study finds commuting by bike can cut heart disease and cancer — Tree Hugger
- Bike lanes are a sound public health investment — Reuters
- Yes, ditching the car for your commute to work improves well-being — MinnPost
- Cycling to work can cut cancer and heart disease, says study — BBC
- Is urban cycling worth the risk? — Financial Times
- How cycling to work could save thousands of lives a year — CBC (Canada)
- Active and safe travel — The King's Fund
- Not Dangerous — As Easy as Riding a Bike
- Cycling and trucks, the Dutch way — BicycleDutch
- World's safest roads — A View From The Cycle Path
- Rethinking Safety, by Marjut Ollitervo @cyclite — Kaupunkifillari
- Jízda na kole, bezpečnost a zdraví — Centrum dopravního výzkumu
- Pozitivní dopady cyklistiky na lidské zdraví — CykloNovinky.cz
- Bezpečnost cyklistů - konečně jiný pohled — Dobrá města
- Pražské nehody cyklistů 2020: noví cyklisté nezvýšili podíl zavinění — Městem na kole
Are we missing a link to a great article on this subject? Click here to let us know!